TaxJar is the leading technology solution for busy eCommerce sellers to manage sales tax and is trusted by more than 20,000 businesses.
Our core values:
- We know that we’re better together
- We are always learning and growing
- We shape our own destiny
- We build relationships that matter
We have an immediate opening for a Software Support Engineer to be a part of our Tier 2 support team that directly supports our customers using TaxJar and our sales tax integrations.
What type of person will thrive in this role?
- You’re empathetic. We’re passionate about customer experience and we look for support team members who start by putting themselves in the customer’s shoes and working toward a resolution from there.
- You’re an agile communicator. You know how to tailor your delivery depending on the audience–from a CFO or CPA who has a great grasp of sales tax compliance but may not be as well versed in the technical side to a developer who is driving the technical implementation but isn’t as familiar with sales tax law or a stakeholder who’s new to both compliance and the technology.
- You are curious and resourceful–you’re comfortable with the ambiguity of not having a step-by-step resolution for every issue you encounter, but you’re willing to ask questions and troubleshoot with the available resources to find a solution.
- You’re a team player, and this means you can also accept that you won’t be able to solve everything alone and you’re not too proud to ask the wider team for help and escalate to our Engineers when we can’t find an answer.
- You’re responsive–you’re aware that there are customers waiting at the other end of the ticket and if they write in looking for updates while you’re working toward a resolution, you’ll let them know you’re still working on finding the answers to their questions.
- You enjoy learning to use new tools and exploring new topics and can easily take what you’ve learned and explain those new tools or topics to other people.
- You’re collaborative–not just in solving the problem itself or advocating for our customers with cross-functional teams, but also in continually contributing to our documentation sources.
- You’re excited by the challenge of sales tax–the laws are different from state to state and new laws are written often. It takes a considerable amount of grit to dig in and become a subject matter expert and every day new challenges will arrive in the support inbox. This won’t be a job where you’ll learn everything in a few weeks and coast from there, and you’re ok with that (and hopefully even excited about this!)
- Accountability – You enjoy autonomy in your workday and have the discipline and skillset to take ownership and follow through on projects on your plate, whether that’s as simple as closing the loop on a support ticket or pushing a larger support project across the finish line.
Experience you may have on your resume:
- 1 or more years of SaaS technical support.
- Customer-facing communication as well as internal documentation experience.
- Integrating systems and tools utilizing APIs.
- Supporting APIs by utilizing troubleshooting tools such as Postman and logging systems.
- Supporting eCommerce platforms, integrations, or ERPs.
What are the job responsibilities?
Our Software Support Engineers are the final destination of escalation within our Customer Support team for customers who have questions about using TaxJar. You’ll provide customers with the best solution based on the information they provide to your questions during troubleshooting, coupled with your knowledge of TaxJar’s products and services.
- You’ll research, troubleshoot, and respond to customers to resolve questions around our API, eCommerce integrations, as well as tax rate and reporting questions for TaxJar products.
- Create detailed Jira cards for the Product and Engineering teams when issues that need development work are discovered.
- Document a resolution path for cases that you work through to reduce future resolution times for the Support Engineering team as well as the Tier 1 Support teams to deflect future T1 escalations to Support Engineering.
- Collaborate with the Onboarding, T1 Support, and AutoFile teams to represent the voice of our customers in cross-functional internal conversations and initiatives.
I’m not a sales tax expert; what will onboarding look like?
During your ramp-up period, you’ll get exposed to sales tax and the TaxJar products and services in a phased approach. A few key pieces of support you can expect along the way are:
- Access to all existing internal employee documentation around product behavior and case troubleshooting.
- Access to our internal onboarding LMS modules.
- Training in best practices for communicating with our customers.
- Internal draft review of your responses to customers to help build your confidence while you onboard.
- Key Performance Indicator milestones for completing onboarding materials, as well as weekly case metrics.
- Regular pairing sessions with the wider team of knowledgeable and collaborative Software Support Engineers.
- Weekly 1:1’s with your coach.
So what next?
If you’re excited about the challenge of supporting customers through real-world problems with empathy, communication, collaboration, documentation, and technology, we’d love to hear from you!
We know that you may not be able to check every box on our requirements list, but if you’re interested in this role and feel like you’d be a good fit, please apply and be sure to tell us why you’re the ideal person for this role–even if your resume isn’t an exact match with 100% of the details we’ve outlined above.