What We Do
Swimply is an online marketplace that allows owners of underutilized swimming pools to monetize their pools’ downtime by sharing them locally by the hour. Think Airbnb, but for swimming pools.
How We Started
Swimply was founded by Bunim Laskin in 2019. As the eldest of 12 siblings and lacking resources for his family to escape the heat, Bunim thought of offering his neighbor financial assistance in exchange for some pool time. Before long, others in the community cut similar deals with her and she was turning a handsome profit. The rest is history.
Our mission is to extend the sharing economy beyond the functional to the experiential. We will do this by building an authentic community-driven marketplace that democratizes access and enhances quality of life for the average family. Our current focus is on swimming pools but we will incrementally expand the platform to include all kinds of underutilized spaces (so long as they’re awesome).
We believe that ownership can be smarter, better, and more meaningful. Helping owners earn an income from their underutilized assets reduces the financial anxiety of ownership and simultaneously fosters community.
We envision a world in which anyone, anywhere, can access anything with the tap of a button -from their very own tennis court or swimming pool to home gyms and even music studios – regardless of their economic status.
Where We Are Now
Swimply experienced incredible rapid growth (4,000% YoY), largely driven by customer love, word-of-mouth and robust media coverage. In just the last six months, over 3,000 pools have been listed in the US, over 45,000 transactions have been completed (up from 1,000 transactions in 2019), and over 200,000 swimmers have enjoyed a stranger’s pool.
Backend Engineer job description
Swimply is looking for experienced Sr. Backend engineers to join our distributed engineering team. We’re looking for engineers who like to balance working up and down the technical stack to deliver delightful product experiences, and take ownership of areas of the technical stack.
What you’ll do professionally:
- Build complex web and mobile applications that deliver joy and delight to millions of users.
- Work within a small team of engineers and designers to ship impactful product features.
- Mentor, educate and support the engineers you work with every day.
- Work closely with product, design, and engineering to understand product requirements, evaluate tradeoffs, and ship solutions that deliver value to customers.
- Help make our team better and continue to professionally grow through contributing to code reviews, documentation and promoting best practices.
What skills and experience you’ll bring:
- You have 5+ years of professional software engineering experience.
- Experience writing well tested, clean code and building CI/CD pipelines to deliver solutions as quickly as possible.
- Experience with one or more Cloud Platforms (AWS, Google Cloud, Azure).
- You have exhibited mastery of modern technical stacks, (mobile, web, backend services, databases, analytics, etc).
- You’re fluent with Git and modern agile methodologies
- Have SRE, DevOps, and Cloud Infrastructure experience supporting platforms with volatile loads and millions of users.
- Have intermediate or expert level knowledge and experience with PHP, Laravel, GraphQL, AWS, Kubernetes and Terraform.
It’s even better if you:
- Have expert level knowledge and experience with PHP, Laravel, React, React Native, AWS, Kubernetes or Terraform.
- Have experience building reusable code bases across React and React Native applications.
- Have experience partnering with user experience teams to build reusable component libraries to empower engineers to build delightful user experiences faster.
- Have experience building data pipelines, data lakes, data warehouses, or analytics suites to deliver business insights and learnings by leveraging behavioral data in products.
- Have extensive systems architecture design and software design patterns experience as exhibited by existing applications and/or design documents.
- Have demonstrated experience in decomposing complex business problems and leading teams who have delivered technical solutions at scale successfully.
Our company is fully remote, and we’re assembling a team of extraordinary talent to build our community-driven marketplace. We aim to deliver meaningful income to hosts and create more happiness in the world for local communities.
It’s an excellent time to join because:
- You’ll be getting in on the ground floor to make a key impact at a consumer marketplace startup that is experiencing rocket ship growth
- You’ll play a critical role in building Swimply from the ground up, including influencing our company culture, core values, and who we end up hiring
- You’ll significantly influence the business and product roadmap as we scale
- You’ll experience massive growth opportunities as the company grows and matures
- You’ll be part of a team that is mission-driven, works hard, plays hard (generally in and around swimming pools 😎), and is in service to our community of hosts and guests
- You’ll be working directly with the founders and an executive team that has startup experience and scaled billion dollar companies