We are an education technology company teaching kids fluent English all over the world.
We started as one man’s vision to solve a simple problem for the students of his own school. In a little, over a decade we’ve grown into an international multimillion-dollar company positively affecting the lives of over 300,000 students a year.
Your bread and butter of the day will be not just to code, but to engineer solutions to sometimes simple, most of the time complex problems.
You’ll work closely with software designers, developers, and sometimes end-users, to understand more about what each product is meant to do, its key features, and who will use it.
You’ll often be working on more than one project at a time, one product in the first phase of testing and another in its second or final phase.
When you apply at a company you want to have some idea of the kinds of projects you may eventually help with, here is just a small list of what we’re currently working on:
- Design, build and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby/Elixir code
- Integration of data storage solutions for MySQL, Postgres and CouchDB
- Integration of client apps for web, Android, and iOS, with server-side infrastructure.
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Experience with Ruby on Rails, along with other common libraries
- Hands-on experience/interest on Elixir/Phoenix framework
- Good understanding of the syntax of Ruby and its nuances
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Good understanding of server-side templating languages such as Haml
- Good understanding of server-side CSS preprocessors such as Sass
- Familiarity with concepts of MVC, Mocking, ORM, and RESTful
- A knack for writing clean, readable code
- Ability to integrate multiple data sources and databases into one system
- Understanding of fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Able to create database schemas that represent and support business processes
- Able to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
- Proficient understanding of Git
- Familiarity with development aiding tools Bundler, Webpacker
- Familiarity with continuous integration