SchooLinks is a globally distributed, remote-friendly, and venture-backed startup. SchooLinks is a college and career readiness platform that empowers students. We streamline all post-secondary planning activities from career interest inventory all the way to post-secondary outcome tracking.
We presently do not have the ability to sponsor H1-B Visas
What you’ll do:
- Work on a talented product development team focused on delivering delightful experiences
- Participate in the product development process from start to finish, reviewing requirements and user stories to provide timely and meaningful feedback.
- Design and build solutions that will scale to millions of users
- Ship clean, readable, and maintainable front-end code
- Actively review code and mentor junior members of our engineering team
- Contribute and proactively elevate the quality of our codebase by writing tests and addressing technical debt
We’re looking for people who have:
- 4+ years of shipping high-quality FE code
- 4+ years of HTML and CSS experience
- 2+ years of React and Redux or Hooks experience
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Experience building complex and modern UIs that require a strong understanding of the underlying business logic
- Comfortable taking ownership over technical decisions about code structure, tooling, and invested in the success of the product we’re building
- Experience writing tested code and doing test-driven development
- Past work
- FE Architecture planning abilities and experience
- Experience with the Material UI framework
- Interest or experience with education
- Looking to grow professionally (and ideally looking to do it quickly!)
- What is the team size we’ll be working with?
- You’ll be working within one of our pods of 4-5 engineers, a designer, engineering lead, and QA engineer
- What’s your tech stack and other tools you use daily?
- FE: React (16.14 with JS), React-query, some redux, but moving away from it and making more use of hooks and component state, GraphQL, Webpack. MUI, Nivo, Final Form
- BE: Django, DRF, Celery, MySQL, Redis
- Github, Jira, Slack, Notion, Loom
- Tell us about your dev practices
- Pragmatic is the best way to describe. We use eslint and prettier to keep code clean. We have some tests for code that we know is going to be around for a while or many modules depend on, but we’re not strictly TDD. We tend to ship MVPs quickly and then go back and refactor and/or rebuild when we have more learnings and better ideas about how to abstract products. The name of the game for us is speed to market. We ship major releases every two weeks
- Tell us about your general working style
- Asynchronous – we tend to try to get as much communication into structured formats as possible — PRs, documentation, comments, Jira tickets vs. scheduling meetings. We do try to have the majority of our meetings around our standup to make sure that our teammates have as much focused deep work time as possible
- Remote- we have a small number of engineers on-site, but many distributed as well as much of our leadership distributed, so you can be a full-fledged member of our team and not be in the office in Austin (this was from before the pandemic and will be the case after the pandemic)
- Driven- our team members really believe in what we’re doing and we work hard because we’re personally invested in the outcome and take ownership over the work we do
- Will you consider slightly less experienced candidates?
- Absolutely. We may consider exceptional candidates that have slightly less experience, but this is not a role for junior engineers.
- Competitive Salary
- Part of a remote-friendly company and a fully remote team/pod
- Flexible working hours and healthy asynchronous working practices
- Long term employment with considerations for promotion and raises every 6 months
- For US-based candidates:
- Full health (healthcare, vision, dental, ClassPass, etc.)
- Company 401k Program with up to 1% matching