This is a full-time position ideally located in the US: San Francisco, CA, Portland, OR, Albuquerque, NM, Midwest: Chicago, IL, East: Washington, DC, NYC. This person should be willing to accommodate global hours across multiple timezones.
Purpose Network U.S. is a social enterprise and non-profit that helps businesses and communities build equitable ownership, governance and financing models. We are accelerating the transition to a shared-ownership economy by making new models replicable, accessible and visible. We build new models with communities and founders, educate capital providers, and push the field forward with legal innovations and research.
We work directly with all kinds of leaders and organizations. This includes everything from:
- Retiring founders looking for aligned succession solutions like selling to their employees and community
- Early stage entrepreneurs looking for alternatives to conventional VC
- Community-led organizations seeking new models of shared real estate ownership
- Mission-driven mid and Large-sized companies looking to integrate their mission and stakeholder into their ownership and governance structures
The projects we support are on the leading edge of creating an economy that is more resilient, equitable, sustainable, and thriving.
Our website is here: purpose-us.com, and a small selection of our writing is here: purpose-us.com/writing. We are the fully independent US node of the international purpose network.
About Purpose’s Consulting Practice: As consultants, we work directly with business owners and communities to design legal, governance and financing structures that support their organizations and their stakeholders’ goals — today and in the future. This often includes: personal relationship building, succession planning, stakeholder engagement, governance design, legal and financial planning, corporate restructuring, financial engineering and more.
You can find examples of our shared-ownership conversion projects here and here.
As a Consultant, you will support and lead on projects spanning organizational ownership conversions, mission-driven growth capital raises, and stakeholder engagement processes.
Day-to-day, this will include:
- Partner with Consulting Leads on project management, strategy, analysis, communications and support for client cases.
- Supporting clients with key decisions about fundraising, governance and ownership structures.
- Interface with stakeholders – including lawyers, employees, financial advisors, investors and others to get feedback and integrate it into our design process.
- Designing workshops and workshop materials for clients, from templates and from scratch.
- Creating reports, pitch decks, and synthesizing conversations.
- Mid-level financial modeling to ease client decision making processes.
- Manage knowledge-capture process, including helping to build out Purpose’s internal knowledge-base and documentation
Skills and Interests you’ll need:
- 4-7 years minimum professional experience;
- A deep interest in diving into the deep end of legal, capital, and community governance innovation, and comfort operating with a high-level of ambiguity and learnings;
- Experience in some relevant field (consulting, management, legal, capital, client engagement);
- Experience and fluency with project management, general business strategy, presentation skills, legal structures, operations, and ideally financial modeling/analysis;
- The ability to effectively articulate to different audiences across multiple mediums, from technical documents and presentations to sales pitches and one-pagers;
- An attention to detail and excellent execution including note taking, project tracking, and organizational abilities;
- A desire to work with a team that organizes in a largely remote and self-managing way.
This job is a fit for you if you are:
- Comfortable on the edge of your knowledge. We’re building a new system within the existing legal code. While you’ll be well supported, this can be hard and often requires creativity, innovation, and a willingness to be on the edge of your expertise. You’re good with a challenge and love solving complex organizational, social, legal, financial, and systems puzzles.
- Ready to learn. Even with your expertise, it still takes time to absorb the technical ins-and-outs of alternative ownership, governance and finance structures that we’ve learned from working with hundreds of organizations. You bring an eagerness to learn and an openness to a new way of thinking about these topics.
- Service-oriented. The idea of working directly with leaders and communities from radically different backgrounds — from marginalized communities to esoteric baby boomer founders — is exciting to you. You see the thread connecting these different kinds of organizations and people — and want to help shift money and power wherever it can be shifted, at scale and with depth.
- Someone who values practicality, integrity, mastery, experimentation, and diversity of thought. We value independent thought, honor gut feelings, and hold strong opinions while always being ready to change our minds. We run experiments and learn from them. We are constantly evolving our theory of change. We LOVE being proven wrong and learning new things from people and communities we support (and it happens often).
- Not a martyr. We work hard and get things done, but we prioritize health and vitality in our work. We’re in this for the long haul, so we prioritize sustainability in our work culture. We work flexible hours as a fully remote team and your wellness is important to us.
More About Working at Purpose:
- We are a small team (3.5 FTE + freelancers) with:
- 1) a profitable consulting arm (where you’ll be working mostly),
- 2) a growing set of non-profit programs and community, and
- 3) a very early stage capital placement team.
- We are looking to grow the team size by 2-3x in the next 1-2 years.
- We think this is some of the most important and interesting work in the world right now.
- We are constantly asking “How can I help?” and aren’t afraid to roll up our sleeves to follow through. While the tasks may change, the attitude is core to our culture.
- We care about each other and our clients as whole humans, not just as colleagues.
- We strive to build an inclusive and diverse culture. We know that our ability to serve a growing community hinges in part on our ability to be representative of it – not just as an organization, but as individuals with unique perspectives.
- We are working on an ambitious, intergenerational vision of an economy that supports the thriving of people and the planet. This is a very lofty goal, which we strive to meet with hard work, curiosity, and humor.
- 35 hour work week
- Medical, Dental and Vision insurance with employer contribution
- Flexible work options
- Generous paid time off program, including paid holidays
- Short-term disability insurance
Purpose provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.