- Position Summary
We thrive at our ambulatory oncology practice because of the people and our shared dedication to provide our patients with compassionate care. It is unique to find a position where your team members collaborate and support each other to maximize functionality across multiple disciplines. We pride ourselves in creating the healthiest work environment possible and, as a result, we are able to achieve our ultimate goal of optimizing both patient care and patient experience. This position is based in South Portland but includes traveling to inpatient pharmacy locations including Scarborough and Sanford as needed.
Under the general supervision of a pharmacist, the Technician Specialist performs a variety of technical and precise duties relating to medication preparation, storage, distribution, and disposition. This position requires an individual who may be responsible for a specialty area that may include the preparation of parenteral injections and nutrition solutions, controlled substance distribution, inventory control, outpatient prescription processing, patient billing and auditing functions. The position requires an ability to interpret pharmaceutical terminology including a wide variety of chemical compound names, quantification of medication needs based on prescribed dose, frequency, available dosage forms, respond to minor inquiries regarding medication distribution from other healthcare professionals.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs)
- Education: High School diploma or GED is preferred. Associate degree is preferred.
- License/Certifications: CPhT certificate is preferred.
- Experience: A minimum of one year of experience in a hospital pharmacy, home infusion setting, or retail/community pharmacy setting. At least one year of prior work experience comparable to the duties and responsibilities for the Technician Generalist. Experience in the preparation and distribution of medications for patients of all ages is preferred.
- Understands and accurately completes pharmaceutical calculations and their application to hospital pharmacy practice.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Eligible or currently licensed in the State of Maine.
- Analytical skills necessary to identify and resolve problems related to medication preparation and distribution.
Maine Medical Center is a Magnet designated 606-bed tertiary care and teaching institution. MMC is Maine’s largest hospital and a state-wide health care resource. MMC offers outstanding career opportunities and quality of life in Portland.