Sign-on Incentives are available for eligible experienced nurses. Please see full posting for details.
The University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Department of Emergency Medicine is seeking to hire part-time (60%) Staff Nurse in the Emergency Department (ED) to assess patients’ nursing care needs, evaluate effectiveness of care provided, and integrate nursing theory and research into clinical practice. Additionally, the ED Staff Nurse will provide leadership to members of the nursing team in order to maintain patient care standards.
Characteristic Duties of our Staff Nurses include (but not limited to):
- Applies nursing theory to the assessment, diagnosis, treatment, and evaluation of patient responses to health and illness.
- Assesses patient health care preferences and expectations.
- Collaboratively coordinates the continuum of care across settings.
- Develops patient care plan based on patient condition, age, and psychological, educational, and socioeconomic conditions that prescribes interventions to attain expected outcomes.
- Implements patient care plan according to patient priorities, which includes interventions identified through nursing diagnoses. Documents/reports interventions and patient/family response.
- Collaborates and integrates contributions of patients and families into multidisciplinary patient care plan.
- Develops, coordinates and implements transfer/discharge planning throughout episode of care.
- Implements nursing interventions according to department, division, and/or unit policies, procedures, and protocols to maintain safe environment for patients, visitors and staff. Follows universal precautions.
- Implements emergency care procedures in potential or actual emergencies according to departmental policies, procedures and protocols.
- Maintains skills/competency related to special equipment, medications, and procedures common to the patient population of the unit/division.
- Utilizes, adheres and supports departmental standards and practice guidelines.
Each day more than 12,000 employees, students, and volunteers work together to provide safe, quality health care and excellent service for our patients. Simply stated, our mission is: Changing Medicine. Changing Lives.®
Percent of Time: 60%
Schedule: 24 hours per week/96 hours per four-week scheduling block (Rotating 12-hour shifts). Rotating D/E/N shifts and rotating days off. Weekend and holiday rotating assignments required. Orientation will be at 100% schedule. Orientation duration may vary.
Staff Type: SEIU
Pay Plan: https://hr.uiowa.edu/pay/pay-plans/seiu-pay-plan
- An Associate’s Degree in Nursing, a Diploma in Nursing, a Baccalaureate Degree in Nursing, Professional Masters of Nursing and Healthcare Practice (MNHP), MSN/Clinical Nurse Leader or a Master’s Degree in Nursing (MSN, MA) is required.
- License to practice nursing in the state of Iowa required by date of hire.
- Minimum of six months ED in a level 1 trauma center, or critical care (ICU, telemetry inpatient) nursing experience, or a minimum of 12 months RN inpatient hospital nursing experience and/or completion of a senior internship in a level 1, 2, or 3 ED or ICU (within the last year).
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage critically-ill patient population within highly functioning unit/department
- Proven capacity to function with a high degree of autonomy while actively collaborating within a multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills with patients/families, nursing staff, and interdisciplinary team members as demonstrated through written and verbal interactions
- Successful history in building/facilitating interpersonal relationships involving patients, families, colleagues, and student-learners
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- General proficiency with computers
- Minimum of two years of ED or critical care experience (within the last 6 months)
- Experience in pediatric emergency nursing care
- Experience utilizing electronic medical records
- Knowledge of University policies and procedures
Job openings are posted for a minimum of 14 calendar days. This job may be removed from posting and filled any time after the minimum posting period has ended.
Successful candidates will be asked to provide five (5) professional references and will be subject to a criminal background check.
A criminal background check and credentials verification report are required for this position.
For questions or additional information please contact Emergency Medicine HR at UIHC-EMS-HR@healthcare.uiowa.edu.
The University of Iowa is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment free from discrimination on the basis of race, creed, color, national origin, age, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, religion, associational preference, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran.