At Bluecode we’re building the European mobile payment scheme. A solution from and for Europe, enabling cashless payments combined with value-added services, it is accepted at 20’000 locations and growing: large and small department stores, supermarket chains, and popular events such as Oktoberfest (watch our CEO pitching at NOAH18 for more).
We have recently received additional funding to keep transforming the mobile payments industry, and are looking for another talented Elixir Engineer to join our team.
Engineering @ Bluecode
- We build new features on top of a modern stack, consisting of web apps (Vue, Svelte, and Typescript), and native mobile SDKs talking to Postgres-backed Elixir services continuously deployed to Kubernetes on AWS, and orchestrated by Pulumi.
- We’re great at teaching engineers how to use our modern SaaS stack, so you don’t need to have experience in any of our specific technologies.
- We don’t follow rigid Scrum or Kanban, but we do work in an agile, iterative way, and try to continuously improve and implement what works for us.
What will you do?
- You will make sure that the backend APIs and systems run rock-solid and our services and third-party integrations communicate harmoniously. That means handling of all potential error cases, down to connection- and request timeouts.
- Sometimes it will also be necessary to write some front end code.
- You will own and be accountable for the services you will be working on, and any other high-leverage projects you take on.
- You will collaborate with other engineers, product managers and designers to help plan the work ahead to ensure we continue to deliver an amazing product and experience to our customers and partners.
- You will structure initial delivery and extension of services into small, actionable tasks to deliver the most value in no time.
- You will be learning from and teaching other engineers; sharing your knowledge, learning about our ecosystem, and reducing knowledge silos.
Who are you?
- You’re passionate about engineering excellence, productivity, and delivering high quality products.
- You love to understand how a product or system works, and enjoy thinking through complex product and system interactions to find gaps, failure modes, and edge cases.
- You enjoy writing and reading code.
- You love to work in, collaborate with, and occasionally lead cross-functional teams.
- Your work-day overlaps with Europe/Zurich office-hours for at least 5h.
What do you need to bring?
- You have previous experience as a Software Engineer including both successes and failures (“scars”), which help you make better decisions.
- You have helped define architecture, tooling, strategy, and implementation for systems where failure is not an option.
- You have deep experience in writing and consuming HTTP and APIs and handling failure scenarios (we are part of a distributed system implementing transactions over HTTP, so thinking through failure modes and state reconciliation is a fact of life for us)
What would be nice to have?
- You’re familiar with other tech from our stack: Postgres, Vue, Svelte, Typescript, AWS, Kubernetes, or Pulumi.
- Experience with other functional programming languages is a plus.
Why do you want to work at Bluecode?
- You can help build an amazing product in a company big enough for growth but lean enough to make a genuine impact.
- The priceless experience of paying with the system you’ve built…
- A startup you’d be proud to be part of, as we are putting consumers’ privacy first.
- Competitive salary.
- Fully remote and flexible hours.
- Recurring equipment stipend.
- Yearly budget for attending conferences.
At Bluecode we foster an inclusive, supportive, fun, yet challenging team environment. We value having a team of diverse backgrounds and respect the healthy expression of opinion. We readily experiment with and examine all kinds of ideas through reasoning and testing. Come join us as we shape the world of mobile payment.
If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to (paste into a Bourne-compatible shell):
echo “moc tod edoceulb ta relleum tod d” | rev
Interested? We’d love to hear from you.